Mom and I on our Alaskan cruise

About this Poetry Blog

Site Merge

Good evening, or morning, or afternoon, depending on when you've stumbled across this page. Today is January 23, 2023, and I have slowly...

Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Air of Sophistication

I took this photo while on our cruise. I loved the sophisticated styling of the area the lamp was found in, which reminded me of rooms I always pictured gentlemen from regency romance novels retiring to, and I couldn't help but feel how much pretense is found in such places. This poem is about pretending to fit in to the point of losing oneself to the guise.

Wine glasses clinking

cheap wine mimosas

Knock-off Gucci bags

carrying maxed out credit cards

Bargain basement pretense

clothed in second-hand design

Hiding in plain sight

at out of league events

Banishing self-deprecation

with an air of sophistication


Hoping the guise holds

Hometown forgotten

Name changed

Allure added

Pygmalion

Escape

Alone

Lost




No comments:

Post a Comment

Fan Favorites