Mom and I on our Alaskan cruise

About this Poetry Blog

Site Merge

Good evening, or morning, or afternoon, depending on when you've stumbled across this page. Today is January 23, 2023, and I have slowly...

Monday, August 8, 2022

Accessible Heights

 

I was walking down the street in Juneau when I happened to see this series of diagonal lines climbing the hillside out of the corner of my eye. I had planned to snap a photo of it anyway, but once I realized it was a ramp, I knew it would inspire a poem at some point. 

Life presents a series of stumbling blocks

Endless obstacles in our paths

Perpetually climbing, seeking

Seemingly unattainable height

Up stairs jagged, narrow, steep

Imposing boundaries that hold us down

Keep us from reaching, narrowing

Our options until we fit some mold

Pre-determining our destination

Before we reach the next level

Possibility clearing the way for more

Blinding us to our own potential

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fan Favorites